I grew up in a family that LOVES popcorn. My family traditions often included popcorn and peanut m&m’s (and still do most of the time). We hardly ever sat down to a movie together without having some popcorn at the least, but usually it was accompanied by peanut m&m’s. When I went out to college I started making my own homemade popcorn with plain popcorn kernels to save money. Now I make it this way to try and keep it a healthy snack. I recently read a little post that claimed bagged popcorn as one of the top worst things you could possibly eat because of all the processed junk that goes into making that “movie theater” butter flavor, or any of the so called “butter” flavors.
Because of my old habits, my daughter has now started asking for popcorn ANYTIME she watches a movie. Or even a short TV show for that matter. She takes after her mom. My family’s tradition of popcorn and a movie lives on in my home. The nice thing is that I don’t have to feel bad saying yes when she asks at 9am if she can have some popcorn while watching Cinderella. Sure. It’s snack time. I’ll just go pop you up a healthy snack!:)
Because I made it so much in college, I tried out LOTS of different methods for making homemade popcorn. I tried cooking it in a pot (which often I felt like my teeth were going to crack because all too often many of the kernels would pop into mini fluffy looking rocks), I’ve tried the brown paper bag (which works great and the popcorn turns out great, but I hated wasting all those brown bags. My husband and I are penny pinchers and therefore every single penny counts in my home). I’ve also tried making it in an old ice cream container that’s been washed out (this worked well as well, I just hated holding onto that dumb ice cream container).
I finally tried my favorite method to date which is cooking it in a Pyrex bowl with a lid. (No, this is not a Pyrex commercial. I am not getting paid to mention them.. that’s just what I use). I put in my oil or vegan butter, mix in the popcorn kernels, put on the lid with it slightly tilted and plop it in the microwave. I usually just push my popcorn button then add another minute.. which I believe adds up to about 3 minutes 30 seconds. After it’s done I pull it out and sprinkle a little salt and it’s good to go!
- 1-2 tbsp oil (olive oil, canola oil, melted vegan butter, etc.)
- ¼-1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- salt to taste
- Pour your oil into a microwavable glass bowl with a lid and stir in your popcorn kernels. Place the lid over the bowl without sealing it closed. This will allow some of the air to escape so the lid doesn't blow off, but keep in most of the heat.
- Place in your microwave and cook for 2½-4 minutes depending on the power of your microwave*
- Remove from microwave with oven mits and sprinkle your desired amount of salt over it.
- *I usually listen for my popcorn pops to slow down. When the popping sound slows down to between 2-3 seconds between each pop, it's ready.
Also, we found out that this baby #3 for our family will be a little BOY! We are so excited!
Sydney turned 3 a few days ago as well.
Here she is wearing her Little Mermaid costume I made her for her birthday.
And having cupcakes with friends at the park.
Now go and make some delicious homemade popcorn!:)