Valentine’s day is shortly approaching. Everyone knows that Valentine’s day is notorious for being a day full of sugary, unhealthy treats that leave you feeling awful at the end of the day. Well, why not try a healthier option that still feels like a fun splurge? My daughter and I had a lot of fun making these together, and then eating them together (of course).
This is an old recipe that I used to make but I tweaked it a bit to make it healthier. I reduced the oils amount by more than half and cut the sugar in half as well.
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup vegan yogurt (see the link below for my easy homemade vegan yogurt)
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 2½ tsp milk
- Mix together the wheat flour, salt, baking soda and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Add in your butter, yogurt and almond extract and stir until they are thoroughly incorporated.
- Shape the dough into heart shapes or just roll into 1 inch balls and then flatten on your greased cookie sheet.
- Push your thumb into the center of your cookies, making an indentation for the jam. Add a spoonful of jam to the center of your cookies and bake them in the oven for 13-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
I hope your Valentine’s Day is wonderful and shared with lots of loved ones!