Who doesn’t love a good minestrone? This soup is so darn tasty and and chock-full of yummy hearty veggies and nutrients. My husband and I discussed the other night that it almost feels like it has meat in it because it’s so hardy. We love this soup!
My husband and I both ate 2 large bowls of this soup for dinner, 1 large bowl each for lunch the next day, and we still have enough to make burgers out of the left-over soup for dinner tonight. I will say though, this soup was so tasty, it was SOO hard for me to use the last bit on the burgers because all I wanted to do was eat it up! If you’re wondering how you turn soup into a burger, stay tuned… I’ll have a post on that in a few days.
- 2 cups wheat noodles (preferably short noodles like ditalini or even macaroni)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 small zucchini
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cup frozen green beans, chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 15 ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15 ounce cans great northern beans
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- First, cook the wheat noodles according to the instructions on the noodle packaging. Don't worry about over-cooking them because you want them to be a little soft for your soup. Once they are cooked, cover them and set it aside.
- In a large pot, pour the ¼ cup vegetable broth and add the chopped onion, celery, carrot and zucchini. Cook them over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes or until they are looking tender. Add in the garlic and chopped green beans. Cook for another 5 minutes. If your vegetable broth has all evaporated, add more vegetable broth so the veggies don't burn to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes. spices and the rest of your vegetable broth. Cover it and let it simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes. add your cooked pasta noodles and the soup is ready to serve!
Enjoy this lovely savory, hearty, and oh-so delicious minestrone soup!